Another club has done it, letting the rest of us know this is so possible!!! In their own words, here’s how they did it:
The Fun Speakers Toastmasters Club has been honoured with the Go-Getter Award by achieving five or more DCP goals early in the year. District 99 asked the club’s current executive how they reached this accomplishment and they offered their recipe to success.
The ingredients are readily available to every club, but it takes a dedicated core group of members to get the pot boiling. The Toastmasters International Distinguished Club Plan has everything you need to know and the major key to success is in the execution.
Essentially, Fun Speakers maintains high expectations of its members, club officers and the quality of every club meeting:
- All members receive an orientation, are officially inducted into the club and are assigned a mentor. They receive coaching for performing roles, presenting speeches and organizing club events.
- Club officers are expected to complete training and actively contribute to achieving the goals in the club success plan.
- Meetings are planned weeks in advance and roles are confirmed one week prior by the Toastmaster and General Evaluator. Themes and events maintain engagement and ensure the personal goals of members are met through educationals, speech marathons, contests or special programs.
- All members matter. Roles, accomplishments and attendance are closely monitored, giving the executive and mentors data for timely follow-up, support or congratulations.
- Meetings focus on the optimum experience for members. Roles and projects are expected to be well prepared; evaluations are expected to focus on objectives and constructive feedback; and effort, improvement, first-time roles and achievements are celebrated.
- Guests of all kinds are welcome at the door, offered a guest package, assigned a host and introduced as our VIPs. Each guest is asked to join our club and receive an invitation to our next meeting, as well as to special events.
The club believes every member will be successful and members work hard to help each other achieve that success. Focusing on these areas and functions of the club enabled the Fun Speakers to achieve the Go-Getter Award!
It’s inspiring to witness individuals learn and grow, but when a group of like-minded people commit to each other and the opportunities offered in Toastmasters, it’s a powerful experience.
District 99 Public Relations Manager